Top 100 objects
Browse key artefacts from our properties across the country.
Displaying 61-80 of 99
Glass vessel fragments (Islamic)
These small fragments of glass probably came from a drinking beaker.
Object number OCAE027
St Columba's Pillow
Popularly known as ‘St Columba’s Pillow’, this stone was so famous in the early 1900s that it was put in a metal cage for safe-keeping.
Object number IONA060
Spectacle frame fragment
Bone was used to make this piece of frame, once part of a pair of rivet spectacles.
Object number MEL354
Cross slab fragment
A carved stag sits with its legs doubled up beneath its body on the back of this cross slab fragment.
Object number VIG019
Double effigy - Walter Stewart 1st Earl of Menteith and Countess Mary
The couple shown in a last embrace in this double effigy are thought to be Walter Stewart, 1st Earl of Menteith, and his wife Mary – who was Countess of Menteith in her own right.
Object number INCM001
St Andrews Sarcophagus - main panel
Experts still debate the exact form and purpose of this object in St Andrews Cathedral.
Object number SAC543a
Tall and majestic, this Pictish cross-slab may have been erected as part of a bigger structure inside the church at Meigle, Angus.
Object number MEIG002
St Oran's cross - fragments
St Oran’s Cross is thought to be the earliest of the Iona crosses.
Object number IONA080
This birch wood comb, made in the 1400s, is carved from one piece of wood.
Object number CAER175
Chain of Office
Before Leith merged with Edinburgh in 1920, it was a municipal burgh in its own right.
Object number TRH204
Niche statue - St Peter
This statue carries a book of scripture and the key of heaven, symbols usually linked with St Peter.
Object number MEL/scp/10
This ornately carved stone panel most likely formed the gable end of an enclosed shrine or sarcophagus (stone coffin) dating from the early 700s.
Object number JED076.1
Stirling Head - Female courtier
Carved with the image of a female worthy, this oak roundel is one of the famous Stirling Heads.
Object number STC020
Memorial - The Latinus Stone
The Latinus Stone is Scotland’s oldest surviving Christian memorial.
Object number WHP.EC.01
Niche statue - St Paul
A finely carved statue of St Paul from the 15th century, which originally graced Melrose Abbey.
Object number MEL/scp/11
Anglian runes and Saxon letters feature heavily in the carvings of this free-standing cross of red sandstone.
Object number RTH001
One of a number of bridge timbers found in the moat at Caerlaverock Castle.
Object number CAER571
It was with this padlock that the Honours of Scotland – Scotland’s Crown jewels – were sealed away in 1707.
Object number EDIN089
Known both as the ‘Orkney Venus’ and the ‘Westray Wifie’, this Neolithic figurine is just 4cm tall.
Object number LON001
This medieval grave marker with Viking links is from a raised piece of ground near Inchcolm Abbey.
Object number INCL/o/6