Climb to the battlements of the last of the grand medieval castles and marvel at its scale. Set high on a cliff edge and featuring a massive red sandstone curtain wall, Tantallon Castle was home to the Red Douglas dynasty.
View the artefacts and imagine the clashes with the Crown that left their mark on this family seat. The mighty stronghold was finally abandoned after more than 300 years, when it was besieged for a third time – by Oliver Cromwell’s army.
Tantallon Castle is a popular filming location and appears in the critically acclaimed film Under the Skin, starring Scarlett Johansson.
View a map of our locations to have starred in film and TV. Download Historic Scotland on Screen [PDF, 679.37KB]
What to see and do
- Enjoy amazing views over the North Sea to the Bass Rock and its large seabird colonies
- Look up at the mighty curtain wall – the best example of castle architecture from the 1300s anywhere in Scotland
- View the replica gun in the east tower – an exact copy of the ones used to defend against James IV and James V
- Spot rare animals, birds and plants among the local wildlife
- Find out what we’ve learned from recent archaeological digs
- Take our fun fact-finding quiz while exploring the castle.