Admire the monumental effigies of James VI’s lord chancellor and his wife in a great medieval church.
The Lauderdale Aisle was once the sacristy of St Mary’s, the mid-1400s parish church of the royal burgh of Haddington. It was appropriated by the Maitlands of Lethington as their burial aisle following the Reformation of 1560.
Here, John, 2nd Lord Maitland and Lord Chancellor to King James VI, was interred with his wife in 1624. Magnificent marble effigies of the pair survive today – one of the best surviving 1600s memorials in Scotland.