Special arrangements are currently in place at Tantallon Castle, to comply with Scottish Government guidance during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Our staff have been trained in hygiene and social distancing and have been provided with the necessary PPE
- Signage is on site to guide visitors, including one way systems and marked areas that are currently closed to visitors
- We have introduced enhanced cleaning measures, including our toilet facilities, to make visitors feel comfortable while visiting
- In line with Scottish Government legislation and guidance, face coverings are mandatory if you are visiting any indoor/enclosed spaces at our sites including retail and catering areas (subject to some exceptions)
What will be open during your visit
- Toilet facilities
What will remain closed/unavailable during your visit
The castle and Doocot remain closed.
A small car park next to the visitor centre has two accessible spaces. It is level tarmac.
There is a larger car park about 400m from the visitor centre.
Approach to site
The castle is 250m from the visitor centre, along a gently sloping grass pathway (steepest gradient 1:10) and over a timber bridge.
Assistance dogs are permitted at all our sites and within roofed areas.
Visitors' dogs are allowed at Tantallon Castle. Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and not left unattended at any time. Owners must pick up after their dogs.
Visiting the site
Visitors will be able to move through the grounds following a specific route. Please follow signage where indicated.
- One family at a time will be able to enter the ticket office
- Next to the ticket office, there is an adapted toilet, as well as are two picnic tables and two benches
- The dovecot is 40m off the main pathway to the castle and can be reached over cut grass
- The grass can become muddy in places when wet