Admire the handsome sandstone at this church of the 1400s, containing some fine carved stonework.
Dunglass Collegiate Church was founded in the 1440s and dedicated to St Mary. It was a point of strategic importance during the ‘Wars of the Rough Wooing’ in the 1540s, fell out of religious use at the Reformation in 1560, and was converted into a farm building in the early 1700s.
The cross-shaped church today stands remarkably complete. It retains its stone-slabbed roof, with some fine embellishments inside. It’s built in an attractive pink-hued sandstone, surrounded by landscaped parkland.