Plan your visit
Discover a place so beloved by Robert the Bruce, he chose it as the final resting place for his heart. Melrose Abbey is a magnificent ruin on a grand scale, and it was a highly desirable place to be buried.
The abbey grounds, cloister and museum are open. For full information on what will be open or closed during your visit, please visit our access information.
Booking in advance is recommended to guarantee entry.
If you are a Member your ticket will be free, but to guarantee entry please book in advance. Not a member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits
Historic Scotland Member Tickets
English Heritage, Cadw & Manx Member Tickets
Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle in 2021. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid Young Scot card on arrival.
- Signage is on site to guide visitors, including one way systems and marked areas that are currently closed to visitors
- We have introduced enhanced cleaning measures to make visitors feel comfortable while visiting
- In line with Scottish Government legislation and guidance, face coverings are mandatory if you are visiting any indoor/enclosed spaces at our sites including retail and catering areas (subject to some exceptions).
- Masks will not be provided, so make sure you bring one with you
- Face shields (e.g. visors) no longer count as face coverings on their own. They can only be worn in conjunction with other face covering
- Face coverings are not required while visiting external areas of the sites
- If you feel wearing a face covering at all times during your visit (including in external areas) will make you more comfortable, then please wear one, as we want you to enjoy your visit as much as possible
Didn't find everything you need?
Read our FAQs