Prices and opening times
The palace is in a Level 4 COVID protection area, and is currently closed to visitors. Find out more about our COVID response.
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you will not be able to visit without booking online in advance.
We will be updating our social media channels as more dates are available to pre-book, but to be among the first to hear sign up to our newsletter.
Due to physical distancing and the overall safety of our visitors and staff, some areas of the castle will remain closed.
|Concession (60yrs+ and unemployed)
|Family (1 adult, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)
* Prices are currently reduced due to restricted visitor access to the North Range, bedchambers and rooms above the undercroft.
Book tickets now
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Children under 5 go free.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 60+ or unemployed.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits.
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members must book their tickets online and show their ticket and valid membership on entry.
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. You must book online in advance.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. The ticket for the person they are caring for must be purchased online, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and your carer ticket can be sent to you.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle in 2020. You must show your valid Young Scot card on arrival. Please visit the Young Scot website for more details.
What will be open during your visit
- One-way route in place
- Courtyard and Wine Cellars
- Transe at South and East Ranges
- Stable Cellars
- Great Hall
- Ante Room
- Museum Transe
- Royal Apartment
- Queen Margaret Bower
- Toilet (West of the palace entrance)
- Accessible toilet
Some areas/facilities will remain closed for now, we have a phased approach to re-opening while we work to make them safe.
1 November to 31 March:
Daily except Sunday & Monday, 10am to 4pm
Advance booking required.
Closed Sunday and Monday
25 and 26 December
1 and 2 January
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.