Prices and opening times
This site is currently closed as a precautionary measure while we undertake high level masonry inspections. We apologise for any inconvenience. Find out more about our conservation work
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you will not be able to visit without booking online in advance.
|Concession (65yrs+ and unemployed)
|Family (1 adult, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)
* Prices are currently reduced due to restricted visitor access to the North Range, bedchambers and rooms above the undercroft.
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Children under 5 go free, but they must have a ticket booked for them.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 65+ or unemployed.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members must book their tickets online and show their ticket and valid membership on entry. Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. You must book online in advance.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. The ticket for the person they are caring for must be purchased online, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and your carer ticket can be sent to you.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle in 2021. You must book your ticket in advance and show your valid Young Scot card on arrival (children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult).
What will be open during your visit
- One-way route in place
- Courtyard and Wine Cellars
- Transe at South and East Ranges
- Stable Cellars
- Great Hall
- Ante Room
- Museum Transe
- Royal Apartment
- Queen Margaret Bower
- Toilet (West of the palace entrance)
- Accessible toilet
Some areas/facilities will remain closed for now, we have a phased approach to re-opening while we work to make them safe.
Advance booking required
1 April to 31 March:
Daily except Sunday & Monday, 10am to 4pm
25 and 26 December
1 and 2 January
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.