Visit a tranquil ruin amid the bustle of a busy street. Blackfriars Chapel is a rare remnant of the many Dominican friaries built across Scotland during the Middle Ages.
Blackfriars Chapel was built in the 1520s as an addition to the church of the Dominican Friars, built about 10 years earlier.
It didn’t last long, though – in 1559, Protestant reformers ‘violently expelled’ the friars ‘from their destroyed place’. Soon this chapel was all that remained of the friary. It now stands on a busy street in St Andrews.