Climb to the top of one of Scotland’s most unusual historic sites. Abernethy round tower is one of only two Irish-style round towers in Scotland, and its origins remain a mystery.
The tower is believed to date from about 1100, and is thought to have served as the bell tower for an adjacent church. It’s about 22m high and 5m wide, and the climb to the top is well worth it for the sweeping views towards the Firth of Tay.
A Pictish symbol stone has been added to the outside face of the tower. The stone was unearthed in Abernethy’s School Wynd and mounted on the tower last century.