Step through the best preserved city gate in Scotland, leading to the heart of a medieval town.
The West Port of St Andrews was built in 1587 as a monumental entrance to the city’s South Street. It was less a defensive structure than it was a symbol of civic pride.
Its design is based on that of the Netherbow in Edinburgh – which, in turn, was modelled on Paris’s Porte Saint-Honore. The gate was extensively refurbished in 1843.