Historic Scotland

Opening times

For up-to-date information, please phone 01382 436916

Facilities

 

Overview

Take a strategic trip to the ‘strong point on the Tay’, where Broughty Castle was built to help defend the nation against a gathering English navy.

Broughty Castle was erected in 1490 by the 2nd Lord Gray, on a charter from James IV, in response to increased English naval activity. It was taken without a shot fired by the English in 1547, and reclaimed by the Scots two and a half years later. The castle fell back into English hands in 1651.

In 1860 the threat of French invasion prompted Broughty’s conversion from a ruin to a modern artillery defence. The castle was further altered in response to the German threat in the two world wars.

The castle now houses a museum run by Leisure and Culture Dundee. It contains displays on the life and times of Broughty Ferry, its people, the local environment and the wildlife.