In line with best practice in the visitor attractions industry, visitors with disabilities are treated on an equal basis with all other visitors and entry is charged at the appropriate admission category rate - Adult/Concession/Child. Proof of disability is not required.
We recognise that some disabled visitors may need help to visit our sites and we offer free entry for accompanying carers, these can be added when making your booking. Please note this is limited to two carers per transaction.
The part tarmac, part gravel car park has four accessible bays.
Approach to site
The fort entrance is 200m from the car park along a tarmac path. Entry to the ticket shop is a further 15m over cobbles.
Visiting the site
Visitors will be able to move through the buildings without following a specific route, though social distancing measures will be in place. Access to some spaces may be limited.
- The shop has step free access
- Mobility scooters and manual wheelchairs are available for visitor use on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Mobility scooters are available from inside the Fort only and you will need to be able to walk across the drawbridge to access them.
- Visitors can bring their own mobility scooter, but the drawbridge isn't suitable for them, so an alternative access route can be facilitated by staff, please call 01667 462 834
- Please note that not all areas at Fort George are accessible by Mobility Scooter
- The fort is very large (620m from end to end). It is mainly on the level with tarmac surfaced roads and pavements
- Ramps with a gradient of 1:6 lead up onto the ramparts. They have a reinforced grass surface
- Fort George is a working military base and loud noises, bangs and low flying helicopters are a regular occurrence
- Access to the exhibitions in the casemates, historic barrack rooms and Grand Magazine will have capacity limits in place
- There are benches around the site
Adapted toilets are found at the centre of the site.
A limited number of adult and children’s ear defenders are available at this site. Please ask a member of staff if you want to borrow them.
Assistance dogs are permitted at all our sites and within roofed areas.
Visitors' dogs are allowed at Fort George, but are not permitted in roofed areas.
Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and not left unattended at any time. Owners must pick up after their dogs.
Euan's Guide Reviews