Historic Scotland

Opening times

Ardclach Bell Tower is open year-round.

 

Overview

Visit a true architectural oddity: a remarkable little fortified bell tower, standing alone on a hill above the parish church of Ardclach.

Ardclach Bell Tower was probably built by noted Covenanter Alexander Brodie in 1655, and may have begun life as a watchtower-cum-prison. The small belfry was likely added later, housing the church bell for the parish church in the Findhorn valley below.

Brodie had use for a watchtower – his support for the Presbyterian cause had led to several attacks on his estate by Royalist forces.