Prices and opening times
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe.
Please make an online booking to guarantee entry.
Book tickets now
Due to phased reopening some areas of the castle will be closed and we have reduced the admission price to reflect this.
||Reduced admission price
||Normal admission price
|Concession (65yrs+ and unemployed)
|Family (1 adult, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 65+ or unemployed.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members get free entry to our sites, but please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid membership on arrival. Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits.
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. Tickets are limited to two carers per transaction.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle in 2021. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid Young Scot card on arrival (children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult).
- Current members of the British Armed Forces receive free entry to Edinburgh Castle (as well as Stirling Castle and Fort George). Please make an online booking using HM Forces from the list of ticket types. You will need to bring a valid MOD 90 card when you arrive at site. Please note free entry only applies to the serving member.
Please note that on the days that Castle of Light is taking place the castle will close at 4pm. The dates are as follows: 19 Nov 2021 to 9 Jan 2022, Thur to Sun (excls 24-26 & 31 Dec and 1, 2, 6 Jan). Also Mon 27 to Thur 30 Dec.
|1 April to 30 September
|1 October to 24 December
|27 December to 4 January
|5 January to 31 March
You should set aside at least 2 hours to see the main attractions at Edinburgh Castle.
Opening times for the independent museums at the castle may vary.
25 and 26 December
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.