Prices and opening times
Tickets often sell out far in advance, especially over the summer months. Book your tickets online in advance for the best price and to guarantee entry. Once tickets are sold out online, there will be no further tickets available at the castle.
If you are a Member your ticket will be free, but to guarantee entry please book in advance. Not a member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits
Book tickets now
|Concession (65yrs+ and unemployed)
|Family (1 adult, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 65+ or unemployed. Please note this does not apply to students.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Honours Conservation Project
Vital work conserving the Honours of Scotland is underway and will continue until late Autumn 2023. Objects are removed individually to ensure public access to the collection is maintained throughout the project.
Find out the latest information about the project
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members get free entry to our sites, but please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid membership on arrival.
- Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits.
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. Tickets are limited to two carers per transaction.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid Young Scot card on arrival (children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult).
- Current members of the British Armed Forces receive free entry to Edinburgh Castle (as well as Stirling Castle and Fort George). Please make an online booking using HM Forces from the list of ticket types. You will need to bring a valid MOD 90 card when you arrive at site. Please note free entry only applies to the serving member.
|Daily, 1 April to 30 September
|Daily, 1 October to 31 March
Early closure information
To allow for our Castle of Light: Magic and Mystery event, the castle will close at the earlier time of 4pm (last entry at 2.30pm) on the following dates:
- 24 & 25 November 2023
- 2-3 December 2023
- 8-10 December 2023
- 15-17 December 2023
- 21-23 December 2023
- 27-30 December 2023
- 2 & 3 January 2024
24 December - the castle closes at the earlier time of 4pm (last entry 3pm).
1 January - the castle will open at the later time of 11am.
You should set aside at least 2 hours to see the main attractions at Edinburgh Castle.
Opening times for the independent museums at the castle may vary.
25 and 26 December
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.