Advice and Support

Effects of listing on owners

Owners of listed buildings may need to apply for consent to make changes to their property.

Stained glass from within St Columba's Church

Listing will usually only affect you if you want to make changes to a listed building. You may need to get listed building consent before starting work.

Our booklet for owners and occupiers explains more about what listing means for you.

Download our booklet (English and Gaelic)

Read about insurance and listed buildings 

Alterations and extensions 

You should contact your planning authority if the changes you plan to make may affect the character of the building. It will tell you if you need to apply for listed building consent. 

There is no charge for listed building consent and you apply in much the same way as for planning permission. 

Listed building consent may be given for: 

  • alterations 
  • an extension 
  • demolition 

Historic Environment Scotland advises on listed building consent cases when asked to do so by a planning authority 

Find out more about altering a listed building 

Repairs and maintenance 

We recommend you check with your planning authority before making repairs.  

You probably won’t need listed building consent if youre replacing old materials for new on a ‘like-for-like’ basis and the repair work won't affect the character of the building. But it can be good to confirm with your planning authority the materials and repair method to be used 

Grants for repairs  

Find out about Historic Environment Scotland grant schemes 

Private owners are less likely to receive grants from public funds. This is because our criteria for awarding a Historic Environment Repair Grant include: 

  • enhanced community use 
  • social and economic regeneration  
  • public access  

Your local authority may also offer grants for historic buildings. 

Visit the Funds for Historic Buildings website - a guide to funding for anyone seeking to repair, restore or convert historic building in the UK. 

The Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme makes grants towards the VAT costs of making repairs and necessary alterations to listed buildings mainly used for public worship. Find out more on the Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme website.   

View detailed technical conservation guidance 


Historic Environment Scotland 
Longmore House 
Salisbury Place 
EH9 1SH 

Telephone: 0131 668 8914