Proposals must be made using our application form.
Please read our guidance notes on completing the application form [PDF, 120KB]
Download the application form [PDF, 141KB]
Send your completed form by post or email to:
Historic Environment Scotland
What information to include
The more detail you give at this stage, the quicker we can assess your proposal. We do not accept anonymous applications.
You should include with your application:
- details of the building’s location
- current photos of the exterior and interior of the building as well as of the building in relation to its setting
- supporting information about why the building should be listed (or removed from the list)
Let us know on the form if there are reasons why we should prioritise your proposal. Include details of any development proposals or known risk to the structure.
Your proposal will take longer to assess if it involves more than one building. Complex sites can take considerably longer.
We are unlikely to process:
- incomplete forms
- requests not made on our application form
- requests that don’t include current photos
You should contact us in advance if you plan to submit a proposal involving commercial, local authority or other public body large-scale assessments.
Find out about notification of a listing.