Download our guidance
This is a legal guarantee that a building won’t be statutorily listed for five years from the date the certificate is granted. You can apply for a further Certificate of Intention Not to List (COINTL) when this expires.
A COINTL gives certainty to owners and developers planning works on a particular building. The aim of the COINTL process is not to exempt a building from listing. It instead ensures that the listing criteria are considered at an early stage in development and planning proposals.
If we don’t issue a COINTL, the building may be listed. You’ll need listed building consent to make changes to a listed building that your planning authority deems will affect its character.
Anyone can apply for a COINTL for a building – you don’t need to own it to apply.
Find out how to make a listing application, including how to request a COINTL.
We may grant a COINTL to a building that:
- does not meet the listing criteria for special architectural or historic interest
- is not part of the curtilage of an existing listed building
We won’t necessarily issue a COINTL to a building we’ve previously decided not to list.
A planning authority can’t serve a Building Preservation Notice on a building that holds a COINTL.
COINTLs were introduced in December 2011, by section 18 of the Historic Environment (Amendment) (Scotland) Act 2011. This Act added section 5A to the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
COINTLs which have been issued
Address: Hawthornbank, 37 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh EH12 5QQ
Issue Date: 21 May 2020
Expiry Date: 20 May 2025
Address: Buildings at Ailsa Hospital Site, Dalmellington Road, Ayr, KA6 6AB. The COINTL includes the following buildings:
- Main Hospital Block (at NS36000 18654)
- The Former Mortuary (at NS35984 18726)
- Cassilus House (The former Laundry) (at NS36073 18659)
- Workshops (at NS35910 18800)
- Clonbeith, Dunure, Jura, Iona and Lewis Ward Blocks (at NS35822 18712)
- Kyle Addiction Unit and Park Ward (at NS35978 18568)
- Lochranza Ward (at NS35920 18572)
- West and East Gate lodges (at NS36001 18778 and NS35969 18788)
Issue Date: 13 March 2020
Expiry Date: 12 March 2025
Address: Former Fife and Kinross District Asylum, Springfield, Stratheden Hospital, 13, 14 Stratheden Park, Cupar KY15 5RR
Issue Date: 17 April 2019
Expiry Date: 16 April 2024
Address: University of Edinburgh, Bush Home Farm, Bilston EH25 9RE
Issue Date: 4 August 2016
Expiry Date: 3 August 2021
Address: Buildings at Royal Victoria Hospital Site, Jedburgh Road, Dundee DD2 1SP
Issue Date: 1 March 2017
Expiry Date: 28 February 2022