There is currently no access to the Siege Mine. There are access restrictions in the North Range and Sea Tower due to nesting birds.
In line with best practice in the visitor attractions industry, visitors with disabilities are treated on an equal basis with all other visitors and entry is charged at the appropriate admission category rate - Adult/Concession/Child. Proof of disability is not required.
We recognise that some disabled visitors may need help to visit our sites and we offer free entry for accompanying carers, these can be added when making your booking. Please note this is limited to two carers per transaction.
There is one accessible parking bay outside the castle. Other than that, there is no specific visitor parking. There is on street parking, but the nearest car park is at the Bruce Embankment about ¾ mile away. Visitors can be dropped at the castle.
There are no bike racks at the monument. The nearest bike racks are located next to the University Library. There are some cycle lockers at the St Andrews Bus station
Approach to site
The castle is 50m from the visitor centre, over grass reinforced with narrow strips of concrete.
Assistance dogs are permitted at all our sites and within roofed areas. Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and not left unattended at any time. Owners must pick up after their dogs.
Visitors' dogs are not permitted at St Andrews Castle.
Visiting the site
Visitors will be able to move through the buildings without following a specific route, though social distancing measures will be in place. Access to some spaces may be limited.
- Access to the visitor centre is down five steps with handrails to either side or a ramp without handrails. Inside, the centre is on the level
- A multi-sensory exhibition in the visitor centre includes audio-visual presentations and dioramas
- The castle is about 50m from the visitor centre, over grass reinforced with narrow strips of concrete
- The castle courtyard is entered over a wooden bridge. The courtyard is grass covered and much of the castle can be seen from it
- The south range first and second floors are up stone spiral steps with single handrails
- The sea and kitchen towers are up stone steps with single hand rails
- The bottle dungeon, mine and countermine will not be available to view at this time. A film of the space will be viewable on your own device, via a QR code link
There is an adapted toilet on site next to the exhibition
Euan's Guide Reviews