Study the beautiful painted ceiling and monumental tomb of a 1600s private place of worship.
Skelmorlie Aisle, built in 1636 as a private worship place and burial vault, was an addition to Largs Parish Church. It was such a splendid creation that when the church was demolished in the early 1800s, it was saved from destruction.
Today the aisle stands on its own, and comprises two elements. The laird’s loft is at ground level and contains an elaborate stone monumental tomb and an intricate painted ceiling. Below it is the vault, which still houses lead coffins.