Historic Scotland

Opening times

Open year-round.

 

Overview

Admire a beautiful 1600s market cross – the only surviving monument of its type on its original site.

Preston Market Cross was erected in 1617 to serve as the focus of the bustling town of Preston, although it has now become an isolated roadside monument.

At ground level is a drum of masonry, within which is a space that would have served as the town gaol. Above this is a platform, from which proclamations would have been issued. The cross shaft rises from the centre of this platform.