Step inside the HES Archives and Library in Edinburgh and explore Scotland's past through over five million historic photographs, drawings and more.
Our extensive archive in Edinburgh spans a whole range of buildings, archaeological monuments and industrial and maritime sites, giving unparalleled insight into Scotland’s stories.
The archives – compiled and managed by HES – first began in 1908. Today, we hold more than five million items and continue to record all aspects of the historic environment.
What to see and do
- Discover information about Scotland's places through documents and books
- Browse architects’ drawings, historic photographs or excavation archives
- Trace our changing landscape through historic and modern maps and photographs
- Consult the National Collection of Aerial Photography - advance bookings are required
- Access online resources such as Canmore and Scran