Get up close to the Lowland stronghold of a powerful Highland clan. This forbidding fortress high above Dollar Glen belonged to the Campbell earls of Argyll, an important family in medieval Scotland.
What to see and do
- Take in the location high above Dollar Glen – Castle Campbell is one of the most dramatically positioned castles in Scotland
- Step inside one of Scotland’s best-preserved tower houses, a structure built back in the 1400s
- Stroll down the loggia, an open walkway more often found in the warmer climates of Italy and Spain
- Explore the attractive terraced gardens where the Campbells could walk and enjoy spectacular views down the glen
- Spot ‘John Knox’s pulpit’ in the garden – said to be the site of a sermon given by the firebrand Protestant preacher in 1556
- View films about Scottish history made by local experts and enthusiasts from the Forth Valley