Mighty fortifications make this 15th-century castle look like a ‘ship that never sailed’. Blackness was never just a peaceful lordly residence – its enduring roles were as a garrison fortress and state prison.
What to see and do
- Find out how Blackness Castle stood in for Fort William in series one of TV show Outlander
- Take in the castle’s stunning location on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth
- Learn about the Crichtons – for whom Blackness was built – one of Scotland’s most powerful families
- Stand in awe of the formidable fortress – this was not only a noble residence but also a stronghold built for war
- Climb the towers and curtain wall for sweeping views of the Firth of Forth and its rail and road bridges