Prices and opening times
Currently closed, but following the Scottish Governments announcement that COVID-19 restrictions are expected to relax, we hope to reopen the castle in early May (tickets available soon). Find out more about our COVID response.
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you will not be able to visit without booking online in advance.
Book tickets now
|Concession (65yrs+ and unemployed)
|Family (1 adult, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Children under 5 go free, but they must have a ticket booked for them.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 65+ or unemployed.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members must book their tickets online and show their ticket and valid membership on entry. Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. You must book online in advance.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. The ticket for the person they are caring for must be purchased online, then please contact email@example.com with your order number and your carer ticket can be sent to you.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle in 2021. You must book your ticket in advance and show your valid Young Scot card on arrival (children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult). Tickets will be available soon.
What will be open during your visit
Due to social distancing and the overall safety of our visitors and staff, some areas of the castle will remain closed.
- All external spaces with visitor access accessible for those that have booked tickets
- Stern Tower (up to the Great Hall level)
- One-way route round the Stern Tower, East Wall Walk, Stem Tower, West Wall Walk, Spur Defence Wall Walk and Exit
- The car park has limited spaces and will be monitored. It is only available for those that have booked tickets to visit the castle and its grounds. At peak times please also be aware that Blackness village has limited parking and alternative means of travel are encouraged. Please help us to avoid traffic congestion and support the local community
Some areas/facilities will remain closed for now, we have a phased approach to re-opening while we work to make them safe.
Advance booking required
May to March
Daily except Friday & Saturday, 10am to 4pm
25 and 26 December
1 and 2 January
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.