Special arrangements are currently in place at the Blackhouse, to comply with Scottish Government guidance during the Covid-19 pandemic.
All areas of this site will be open and a one-way system in place, but please be sure to follow any safety messaging on site.
- Our staff have been trained in hygiene and social distancing and have been provided with the necessary PPE
- Signage is on site to guide visitors, including one way systems and marked areas that are currently closed to visitors
- We have introduced enhanced cleaning measures to make visitors feel comfortable while visiting
- In line with Scottish Government legislation and guidance, face coverings are mandatory if you are visiting any indoor/enclosed spaces at our sites including retail and catering areas (subject to some exceptions)
In line with best practice in the visitor attractions industry and as advised by Capability Scotland, visitors with disabilities are treated on an equal basis with all other visitors and entry is charged at the appropriate admission category rate - Adult/Concession/Child. Proof of disability is not required.
We recognise that some disabled visitors may need help to visit our sites and we offer free entry for accompanying carers, these can be added when making your booking. Please note this is limited to two carers per transaction.
The level tarmac car park has no accessible bays marked.
Approach to site
The site is about 25m from the car park across a relatively level tarmac surface.
The shop and exhibition has ramped access.
- is all on one level
- has very low doorways and ceilings
- has some narrow passageways
- has uneven floors
- can be very dark
- can be very smoky, because of the open fire
The white house is reached over a large, rough stone drain cover and has a small threshold.
Access to the ruined blackhouses is over uneven grass.
There is an adapted toilet in the visitor centre.
Assistance dogs are permitted at all our sites and within roofed areas.
Visitors' dogs are allowed at The Blackhouse, but are not permitted in roofed areas.
Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and not left unattended at any time. Owners must pick up after their dogs.
For information on accessibility at more than 80 of our sites download our Access Guide.