Prices and opening times
Due to limited capacity, it is strongly recommended to reserve your visit online to guarantee entry and avoid disappointment.
Historic Scotland Members, Explorer Pass holders and reciprocal members: Entry is free, but it is recommended you make a tour reservation in advance to guarantee entry.
Book tickets now
|Concession (65yrs+ and unemployed)
|Family (1 adult, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Family (2 adults, 3 children)
Your ticket includes the coach transfer to and from the chambered cairn.
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 65+ or unemployed. Please note this does not apply to students.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members get free entry to our sites, but please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid membership on arrival.
- Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits.
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. Tickets are limited to two carers per transaction.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit this site. Please make an online booking to guarantee entry. You must show your valid Young Scot card on arrival (children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult).
Explore more with Orkney Digital Guide
Discover nearly 5,000 years of Orkney’s history and prehistory, including Maeshowe Chambered Cairn, with our Orkney Digital Guide. Purchase as an Add-On when booking your ticket, or separately using the link below.
Buy Orkney Digital Guide
Visits are by guided tour only, which depart from the Maeshowe Visitor Centre at Stenness village on the hour. All visitors must check-in at the visitor centre 15 minutes before their tour start time.
1 April to 30 September:
Daily, 10am to 5pm
Tour times: 10am, 12 noon, 2pm and 4pm
1 October to 31 March:
Daily, 10am to 4pm
Tour times: 10am, 11am, 1pm, and 2pm
25 and 26 December
1 and 2 January
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.