Historic Scotland

Opening times

Open year-round.

 

Overview

Admire the carvings on this collection of late-medieval sculptured stones, set in a churchyard burial aisle. 

The Kilmodan Sculptured Stones comprise nine late-medieval West Highland grave slabs and one post-Reformation grave slab from 1636. An 11th stone was believed to be the head of the medieval Cross of Garvie, but is now thought to be a stone pillar worn to its present shape by its use as a tethering post. 

The stones all come from a graveyard surrounding St Modan’s Church in the village of Clachan of Glendaruel.