Visit the seat of one of medieval and Renaissance Scotland’s most powerful families. Heraldic sculpture and inscribed stone friezes were fitting for the home of the earls of Huntly, now a noble ruin.
What to see and do
- Enjoy the castle’s majestic location just outside Huntly, a pretty market town, where the rivers Bogie and Deveron meet
- Admire the South Front, given a striking, French-inspired makeover by the 1st Marquis around 1602
- See a heraldic ‘frontispiece’ so stunning it has no rival in the British Isles – also added by the 1st Marquis around 1602
- Tour the palace interiors to see treasures like the heraldic fireplaces in the lodgings of the marquis and marchioness
- Take our fun fact-finding quiz (also in Doric)