Prices and opening times
The fort will be closed on Friday 25 September to allow for essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you will not be able to visit without booking online in advance.
We will be updating our social media channels as more dates are available to pre-book, but to be among the first to hear sign up to our newsletter.
Due to physical distancing and the overall safety of our visitors and staff, some areas of the castle will remain closed.
Book tickets now
|Concession (60yrs+ and unemployed)
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Children under 5 go free.
Concession price: this applies if you can show proof that you’re aged 60+ or unemployed.
Admission prices are subject to change.
Not a Member? Join now to start enjoying the benefits
Free and discounted admission
- Historic Scotland members must book their tickets online and show their ticket and valid membership on entry.
- English Heritage, Manx and Cadw members get half price entry in your first year and free entry for renewal and life members. You must book online in advance.
- Carers who accompany visitors with disabilities receive free entry. The ticket for the person they are caring for must be purchased online, then please contact email@example.com with your order number and your carer ticket can be sent to you.
- Current members of the British Armed Forces receive free entry to Fort George. Please make an online booking for the paying members of your party. To book a free ticket, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting your order number. You will need to bring a valid MOD 90 card when you arrive at site. Please note free entry only applies to the serving member.
- Have a Young Scot card? Pay just £1 to visit the castle in 2020. You must show your valid Young Scot card on arrival. Please visit the Young Scot website for more details.
What will be open during your visit
- Fort site and ramparts
- Visitor centre
- Grand Magazine
- Historic Barracks
- Points Battery Magazine
- Highlanders’ Museum
- Gift shop
- Café (view our menu)
Some areas/facilities will remain closed for now, we have a phased approach to re-opening while we work to make them safe.
Daily, 10am to 4pm
Last entry time slot 2pm
Advance booking required.
Winter opening times to be confirmed.
Café opening hours
23-30 September: daily from 10am to 3.15pm
We’re a ‘Taste our Best’ café, the dishes on our menu are prepared with locally sourced produce, look out for them on our menu.
View our menu
25 and 26 December
1 and 2 January
Adverse weather or other reasons beyond our control may cause a site to close at short notice.
Before you travel, you can view current unexpected closures.