All areas of this site will be open with the exception of the exhibition room.
In line with best practice in the visitor attractions industry, visitors with disabilities are treated on an equal basis with all other visitors and entry is charged at the appropriate admission category rate - Adult/Concession/Child. Proof of disability is not required.
We recognise that some disabled visitors may need help to visit our sites and we offer free entry for accompanying carers, these can be added when making your booking. Please note this is limited to two carers per transaction.
The main car park is situated 200m from the castle. There is a small parking area behind the castle, 50m from the visitor centre, for visitors with limited mobility.
Visitors can be dropped off 10m from the visitor centre.
Approach to site
The visitor centre is 200m from the car park along an upward gravel track. It is then a further 25m to the castle.
Visiting the site
Visitors will be able to move through the buildings without following a specific route, though social distancing measures will be in place. Access to some spaces may be limited.
- The shop has step free access. The display room upstairs will not be available at this time
- The castle entrance is up 26 steep historic stone steps with a handrail
- The main routes within the castle are gravel, tarmac and grass
- The battlement is accessed via the spiral staircase in the gatehouse. The wooden staircase is closed for the foreseeable future.
- The gatehouse is accessed via a modern staircase of 12 steps with a handrail. The upper levels of the gatehouse are reached via a narrow 28 step spiral stair with a handrail.
- The chapel is approached by a 50m rough earth path which is steep in places and can be boggy
- There is a bench outside the visitor centre and one inside the castle
Assistance dogs are permitted at all our sites and within roofed areas.
Visitors' dogs are allowed at Dunstaffnage Castle, but are not permitted in roofed areas.
Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times and not left unattended at any time. Owners must pick up after their dogs.
Euan's Guide Reviews