Marvel at the splendour of Doune Castle, built as the home of Regent Albany, ‘Scotland’s uncrowned king’. His rich tastes can be seen clearly in the architecture of the medieval courtyard castle.
Today, you can walk in the footsteps of rulers both real and fictional. Doune is a popular filming location and has featured in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Game of Thrones and Outlander. Actor/director Terry Jones narrates an audio tour that reveals Doune’s exciting history and tales from the Holy Grail film set.
Listen to example audio tour clips:
View a map of our locations to have starred in film and TV. Download Historic Scotland on Screen [PDF, 679.37KB]
What to see and do
- Take the audio tour narrated by Monty Python’s Terry Jones
- Picture the cathedral-like great hall full of Albany’s guests enjoying his ‘belly cheer’
- Step into the kitchen and servery to imagine how great banquets were prepared
- Admire the views from the battlements over the River Teith and towards the Menteith Hills and Ben Lomond
- Take our fun fact-finding quiz while exploring the castle. Available on site