Historic Scotland

Opening times

The Bridge of Oich is open year-round.

 

Overview

Cross the River Oich – part of the Great Glen – via this splendid and innovative suspension bridge, designed by a brewer-turned-engineer.

The 46-metre Bridge of Oich was built in 1854, five years after floods swept through the Great Glen and destroyed the stone bridge over the River Oich.

The new bridge was designed by the English engineer James Dredge, using his patented ‘taper principle’ design. The bridge was in use until it was bypassed in 1932, and restored by Historic Scotland in the 1990s. It was re-opened to pedestrian traffic in 1997.