From storming Doune Castle with Monty Python's late Sir Terry Jones, to journeying through Edinburgh Castle with four-time Oscar nominee Saoirse Ronan, our audio guides tell you fascinating stories of some of Scotland’s most impressive historic places.
Explore on site
Now many of the historic places we care for are open again, you can enjoy our audio guides at these sites as part of the ticket price:
And at Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle and Glasgow Cathedral for an additional extra charge.
Historic Scotland members get a 20% discount at Edinburgh Castle and Glasgow Cathedral, and free access to the guide at Stirling Castle.
How it works
You can access all of our audio guides through your own mobile phone. At Edinburgh Castle and St Andrews Castle, you’ll be able to hire one of our devices instead of using your own if you prefer.
To access through your own device, you’ll need to bring:
- a fully charged mobile phone or tablet with access to the internet
- a set of headphones if you can
On site, you’ll scan a QR code near the entrance which will give you access to the guide through a web browser like Google Chrome or Safari.
Help will be on hand from our staff if you need it.
The small print
- there’s no need to download anything – the audio guide will open in a web browser so won’t take up any additional space on your phone. This will take around 30 - 40 seconds
- the guide will stay on your device for around 8 hours
- we don’t collect any personal data when you access the content of these audio guides
- our audio guides work best on your phone through your browser, especially on Safari and Google Chrome
Free guides from home
For a limited time only enjoy listening to our audio guides for free the comfort of your own home while these sites are closed:
Iona Abbey is one of Scotland's most sacred sites. Discover the story of this once vibrant centre of Christian worship founded by St Columba in 563 AD:
Iona Abbey Audio Guide
Download the Iona Abbey large print audio guide script [PDF, 616KB]
Explore 4,000 years of life at Jarlshof. Shetland’s best-known monument includes Iron Age broch tower, Bronze Age smithy, Norse long houses and a laird’s home.
Jarlshof Audio Guide
Download the Jarlshof large print audio guide script [PDF, 768KB]
Smailholm Tower dominates a rocky crag in the Borders. Discover both the tower’s secrets and the Borders legends that inspired the great Romantic novelist, Sir Walter Scott.
Smailholm Tower Audio Guide
Download the Smailholm Tower large print audio guide script [PDF, 703KB]