Costumed figures - The Wife of Usher's Well
A costume figure scene from the ballad 'The Wife of Usher's Well'.
The ballad tells the tale of a mother who loses her three sons in a drowning accident. They then return from the dead to visit her. This scene shows the three sons returning to their graves at dawn after this visit. The cockerels crow to signal the start of a new day.
Part of a series of costume figures created by local artist Anne Carrick to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Sir Walter Scott's birth in 1971. They depict scenes from Scott's 'Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border', first published in 1802. The Minstrelsy is a collection of historical and romantic ballads that tell the stories of Border heroes and fairy tales. The figures are on display at Smailholm Tower in the Scottish Borders.
A costume feegur scene fae the ballant 'The Wife o Usher's Well' ('The Wife of Usher's Well').
The ballant tells the tale o a mither whae tynes her three sons in a droonin mishanter. Syne they return fae the deid fur tae veesit her. This scene shaws the three sons gaun back tae their graves at the keek o day efter this veesit. The cockerels craw fur tae seegnal the stert o a new dey.
Pairt o a series o costume feegurs makkit by local airtist Anne Carrick fur tae celebrate the 200th anniversary o Sir Walter Scott's birth in 1971. They shaw scenes fae Scott's 'Minstrelsy o the Scottish Border' ('Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border'), first furthset in 1802. The Minstrelsy is a hantle o historical and romantic ballants that tell the stories o faur-kent Border heroes and ferlie fairy tales. The feegurs are oot on shaw at Smailholm Tour in the Scottish Borders.
Smailholm’s 20m-tall tower house, its walls 2.5m deep, dominates a rocky craig. The Pringles, who built this border stronghold in the first half of the 1400s, were a prominent local family.
As the laird’s residence, the tower housed:
- cellars on the ground floor
- a great hall on the first floor
- a bedchamber on the second floor
- further chambers at the top
Views from the battlements are impressive: on a good day, you can see mighty Bamburgh Castle, 33 miles away in Northumberland.
The ruined foundations of an outer hall and kitchen block lie in the shadow of the tower. A stout defensive wall encloses the barmkin (courtyard).
Border families and reivers
As squires of the powerful earls of Douglas, the Pringles had the role of warden of the Ettrick Forest – a profitable position. But like everyone else either side of the border, they suffered at the hands of the reivers (cattle raiders).
During two raids in 1544, Northumberland reivers got away with more than 700 cattle and 100 horses. This may have prompted the family to relocate in the later 1500s to Galashiels (their burial vault was in Melrose Abbey).
In 1645, the Scotts of Harden, near Hawick, bought the tower and estate. They already had a fine house, so they leased Smailholm to a kinsman, Walter ‘Beardie’ Scott – better known as Sir Walter Scott’s great-grandfather.
Smailholm and Sir Walter Scott
Walter Scott was born in Edinburgh in 1771, but was sent by his parents to Smailholm as a sickly infant for the good of his health.
Scott was 18 months old when he came to Sandyknowe Farmhouse, the dwelling that replaced Smailholm as the Scott family home. There his grandmother and aunt told him tales of the border countryside.
In his old age, Scott described the powerful effect on his imagination of these border ballads and the sight of his ancestors’ ancient tower, “standing stark and upright like a warden”.
In 1802, Scott published his much acclaimed Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border. He paid an emotional visit to Smailholm shortly before his death in 1832.
- Date Made
- Textile/BM Processed
- Time Period
- Property Information
- Smailholm Tower
- Object Number
- Access Status