Discover a history filled with intrigue, murder, torture and treason. This awesome, eerie ruin has plenty of tales to tell, thanks to its role as “the guardhouse of the bloodiest valley in Britain”.
What to see and do
- Soak up the splendid isolation of the castle’s location in Scotland’s wild border country
- Admire the castle’s formidable presence – it was targeted for 400 years for its role in controlling the Scottish Middle March
- Imagine the bloody struggles for control centred on the Anglo-Scottish border in the later Middle Ages
- Look out for local wildlife including wildflowers on the riverbanks and nesting ospreys nearby
- Take our fun fact-finding quiz while exploring the castle.