This fund is used to support various one-off, heritage-related projects such as:
- grants for training in traditional skills
- payment for travel and study costs associated with the use of traditional materials
- production of heritage publications
- support for community outreach
- grants to owners of historic traditional thatched properties to help towards the cost of maintaining roof structures
- grants to owners of properties included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes for the preparation of landscape management plans to explore the history and development of a site, help plan for the future or manage change appropriately.
- grants to owners of historic properties of outstanding architectural or historic interest for the preparation of maintenance plans in order to reduce the need for costly repairs.
All sorts of projects receive help from the Historic Environment Support Fund, to qualify for consideration a project must.
- Meet as many of Historic Environment Scotland’s outcomes as possible
- be non-recurring
- in the case of Thatching, Landscape Management Plans and Maintenance plans we would expect you to be the owner of the property or long term leasee.
You shouldn’t apply to the Historic Environment Support Fund if you already receive any kind of grant from us.
3 Criteria for awarding grants
Assessment of applications is a competitive process that also takes account of any wider benefits that the project may provide and applications must meet as many of Historic Environment Scotland’s outcomes as possible.
We consider all qualifying applications three times a year – at the end of April, August and December. We let applicants know of our decision as soon as possible after the batch closing dates.
4 How to apply
We accept applications for Historic Environment Support Fund throughout the year, however, these are considered in three batches, with closing dates of 30 April, 31 August and 31 December.
Application is through our Grants Online Application System. New users must register to use the system.Apply online now
Historic Environment Scotland is bound by the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act. This means that any information that you send us or which is provided to help process your application may be made publicly available. However, any sensitive information you give us will be covered by the relevant legislation and will be dealt with accordingly.
Please contact us if you have any queries about the Historic Environment Support Fund.
Telephone: 0131 668 8801
Historic Environment Scotland