Statue thought to represent Earl Rognvald (b. circa 1103 d.1158), Earl of Orkney and Norwegian saint. Rognvald initated the building of St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall in 1137. It was originally mounted in an niche on the exterior wall of Bishop's Reid's Tower at the Bishop's Palace and Earl's Palace, Kirkwall. Surface traces of paint suggest that it was once brightly coloured. Removed for safe-keeping in 1994, it is now on display in Orkney Museum.