This stone lintel is carved with the initials of Sir William Stewart, 11th Earl of Grandtully, and his wife Dame Agnes Moncrieff. The family owned Grandtully Castle in Perthshire, and this stone is on display in nearby St Mary’s Church, which was originally the castle chapel. Sir William remodelled both the castle and church during his lifetime. The date of 1636 carved onto the stone coincides with the expansion of the church and the installation of its famous painted wooden ceiling. The purpose of the stone would likely have been to reinforce the status of the couples souls in the community and the afterlife, and to show ownership of the building – similar to a modern day ‘sponsored by’ statement. The stone probably came from above a door or window.