Interpretation plate - Street of the Dead
This sign was commissioned by the Ministry of Works and is one of hundreds of examples in existence across Scotland. The Ministry of Works was a UK Government department formed in 1940, although its origins can be traced back to the 14th century Office of Works, who were responsible for royal properties. Metal signs like this provided information about historic monuments.
This sign is from Iona Abbey. The Street of the Dead is a cobbled road thought to be over 1,000 years old. It linked the abbey with the Reilig Òdhrain (St Oran's burial ground) and the islands landing point at Martyrs Bay. The sign was removed in 2013 when interpretation at the site was updated by Historic Scotland.
- 342 x 140 x 8mm
- Steel/Alloy/Metal/BM Processed
- Time Period
- 20th century, Modern
- Property Information
- Iona Abbey
- Object Number
- Access Status