Live /

Edinburgh, Stirling and Urquhart Castles are now open, please book your tickets online in advance. We are working hard to open other sites in the coming weeks

x

The middle part of this cross slab is missing, but the stone infill shows that it would have stood around 2 meters high. The two surviving pieces were found during the demolition of a building about 70 meters away from the church.

Large cross slabs such as this are likely to have been prayer crosses, public monuments beside which people could worship. The carving on this stone is the work of a very skilled craftsman. The inside of the cross on the front and the areas around the carved images on the back are filled with intricate interlace, and both sides of the stone are packed with figures and symbols.

On display at Meigle Museum, Angus.

Details

Date Made
8th century-10th century
Dimensions
1500 x 875 x 150mm
Property Information
Meigle
Object Number
MEIG004
Access Status
Display

Tags

Share