Live /

Following the Scottish Government's announcement our sites in mainland Scotland are currently closed. Find out more about our COVID response

x

Cross shaft fragment with vertical rows of interlacing rings, in which the strands are incised with a central groove. This type of interlace pattern, consisting of simple plaited strands bound together by free rings was particularly popular at Whithorn. It gives the impression of rather complicated interlace but is simpler to accomplish. ‘Whithorn School’ monuments like this one were probably carved during a fairly short period between 900AD and 1100AD. On display in the Whithorn Priory Museum, Whithorn, Dumfries and Galloway.

Details

Date Made
900 AD-1100 AD
Dimensions
530 x 310 x 180mm
Property Information
Whithorn Priory Museum
Object Number
WHP.EC.30
Access Status
Display

Tags

Share