Live /

Over 20 of our staffed sites have now reopened and we are delighted to welcome you back. Booking in advance is essential. Find out more and book now

x

Fragment of a cross incised with a plain circular cross head which has expanded arms and circles representing the centre and the spaces between the arms. There are signs of interlace at the top of the shaft. It was found at a farm at Brighouse, near Whithorn. Numerous crosses carved in the distinctive Whithorn style were sent to outlying churches throughout the Machars. They help us to understand the reach of ecclesiastical control exercised from Whithorn. ‘Whithorn School’ monuments like this one were probably carved during a fairly short period between 900AD and 1100AD. This slab may have been trimmed for re-use as a building stone, or may be unfinished. On display in the Whithorn Priory Museum, Whithorn, Dumfries and Galloway.

Details

Date Made
900 AD-1100 AD
Dimensions
510 x 280 x 110mm
Property Information
Whithorn Priory Museum
Object Number
WHP.EC.25
Access Status
Display

Tags

Share