Live /

More of our sites are now available to pre-book in advance of their opening later this month. We are working hard to open other sites in the coming weeks

x

Originally supporting a large cross, this stone was later divided in two. One half was reused as a grave marker. The other half had a socket carved into it to hold a smaller cross. This is a clachan brath or ‘judgement stone’. Look for the round hollow, created by pilgrims rotating ‘globes of white marble’ on the stone as they prayed. The Day of Judgement is due when it wears through. On display in the Iona Abbey Museum, Argyll and Bute.

Details

Date Made
8th century
Dimensions
1210 x 1100 x 110mm
Property Information
Iona Abbey
Object Number
IONA099
Access Status
Display

Tags

Share