Live /

Many historic places are still open for visitors, outwith Level 4 COVID protection areas. Book in advance and check if Scottish Government travel restrictions apply before travelling.

x

Grenadier's fur cap issued to Donald Smith who was a Grenadier in the 97th Regiment from the raising of the Regiment until 28th November 1795, when he transferred to the 42nd regiment at Hilsea Barracks. The cap is a standard pattern issued from 1768 onwards. Its distinctive profile comes from the metal support at the front which is covered by black bearskin. The back of the cap is finished with a panel of red facecloth and the interior lined with coarse linen. The name of Grenadier Smith is written on this lining. The die-struck metal frontlet plate is common to all grenadier caps of this pattern and carries the cipher and motto of King George III surrounding the royal crest of England. The Latin motto translates: “Difficulties do not daunt”. Both the regiment and the particular company would have been identified on a small plate, now lost from this cap, stitched to the bearskin on the back of the cap. The photograph shows the back of the only remaining complete cap from the 97th Regiment. On either side of the back-plate with its regimental number set within a grenade are decorative white cords, largely missing from Grenadier Smith’s cap. From the Seafield Collection. On loan courtesy of National Museums Scotland.

Fort George

Fort George is the finest example of 18th-century military engineering anywhere in the British Isles, though the army base never fired a shot in anger. Today, the fort would cost nearly £1 billion to build and equip.

Strategically located on a promontory jutting into the Moray Firth, the army base was designed to evade capture. Fort George was built on a monumental scale, making use of sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle.

The boundary walls of the fort housed:

  • accommodation for a governor, officers, an artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison
  • more than 80 guns
  • a magazine for 2,672 gunpowder barrels
  • ordnance and provision stores
  • a brewhouse
  • a chapel

Countering the Jacobite threat

The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stuart dynasty to regain from the Hanoverians the thrones of Scotland and England and Wales.

Fort George was one of the ruthless measures introduced by the government to suppress Jacobite ambitions after the nearby Battle of Culloden. It was intended as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after George II.

Architecture of warfare

Lieutenant-General William Skinner was the designer and first governor of Fort George.

He mapped out the complex layout of:

  • ramparts
  • massive bastions
  • ditches
  • firing steps

Defences were heavily concentrated on the landward side of the promontory – the direction from which a Jacobite assault was expected. Long stretches of rampart and smaller bastions protected the remaining seaward sides.

An active army base

Later in the 1700s, when the Jacobite threat was over, the fort became a recruiting base and training camp for the rapidly expanding British Army. Many a Highland lad passed through its gates on his way to fight for the British Empire across the globe.

Between 1881 and 1964, the fort served as the depot of the Seaforth Highlanders.

Fort George is currently the home of the Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (3 SCOTS).

Find out more about Fort George

Details

Date Made
Circa 1798
Property Information
Fort George
Object Number
M1978.13.105
Access Status
Display

Tags

Share