You want to pursue higher education, but you don’t know where to begin? My World of Work has a wealth of information on Colleges and Universities, including skills quizzes, links to university rankings and useful resources.
You can find out more about what UK colleges and universities offer the courses you are interested in through UCAS.
2 Apprenticeships and work-based learning
Apprenticeships, traineeships, and fellowships are excellent ways to kick start your career by gaining experience and qualifications.
There are a variety of apprenticeships available across the historic environment sector. The best way to find the right type of apprenticeship for you is to visit Apprenticeships Scotland. Museums Galleries Scotland also offers digital marketing and museums galleries technician modern apprenticeships in museums and galleries across Scotland.
If you are interested in apprenticeships, traineeships and craft fellowships that relate to conservation and traditional building skills, you can find out more information about this in the Learn a Building Conservation Skill section of our website.
If you are looking for volunteering opportunities in the heritage sector, Make Your Mark is an initiative that supports everyone in Scotland to volunteer with historical, cultural and nature organisations.
There are a wide range of job hubs and pages that post vacancies across the historic environment sector. We have highlighted a few of the key ones below but you can find more in the ‘Explore Historic Environment Careers’ section of the website. If you don’t find a vacancy that you are interested in, many of these pages have an email alert or newsletter option which you can sign up to for updates on vacancies.
- Heritage Tourism: Association of Scottish Visitor Attractions (ASVA) and Scottish Tourism Alliance
- Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums: Museums and Galleries Scotland, Information and Records Management Society and Library and Information Association (CILIP)
- Conservation and Traditional Building Skills: Institute of Conservation and Institute of Historic Building Conservation
- Archaeology: Chartered Institute for Archaeologists, British Archaeological Jobs and Resources and Heritage Research Hub
- Architecture, Engineering, Planning and Surveying: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, Built Environment Forum Scotland and Royal Institute for Chartered Surveyors
- Landscape and Gardens: National Parks, Ends Report and Horticruitment