Over the last two years, Historic Environment Scotland (HES) have funded the Ancrum and District Heritage Society (ADHS), a local volunteer archaeology group who, working in partnership with Dendrochronicle and Wessex Archaeology, undertook an investigation which led to the discovery of the ‘lost’ medieval bridge.
The Ancrum Old Bridge Project is a multi-faceted, local community driven project, using historical research, field survey, drone photography, dendrochronology, underwater archaeology and radiocarbon dating.
Using radiocarbon dating of the bridge timbers, experts confirmed a date of the mid-1300s, making this the oldest scientifically dated remains of a bridge ever found in its original position across one of Scotland’s rivers.
Initial archive research by ADHS led to the discovery of cutwater platforms and oak timbers that once supported the piers of a multi-arched bridge, hidden under the waters of the River Teviot. These are the last remaining, but crucially also the first built, parts of the bridge.
ADHS sought to establish the age of the bridge and evaluate the condition of the remains. Approaching HES for advice and support and combining their archive research with the radiocarbon dating, they were able to confirm that the bridge stood for over 400 years.
Built during the reigns of David II of Scotland and Edward III of England, the bridge is of historic and strategic national importance. The bridge crossed the River Teviot, carrying the ‘Via Regia’ (The Kings Way), on its way from Edinburgh to Jedburgh and the Border. James V would have crossed here in 1526, as would Mary Queen of Scots returning from her tour of the Borders in 1566, and the Marquis of Montrose on his way to battle at Philiphaugh in 1645.
ADHS also enlisted the help of Coralie Mills of Dendrochronicle who helped them take samples of the timbers in the riverbed. She was able to identify them as native oak, which is rarely found in Scottish sites after around 1450 when imported timber becomes more frequent.
Underwater Archaeologists from Wessex Archaeology undertook a survey and assessment of the remains.
Timber samples were then sent to the Scottish Universities Environment Research Centre, in East Kilbride, for ‘wiggle match’ radiocarbon dating and returned the results, giving a date range in the middle of the 1300s.
Kevin Grant, Archaeology Manager at HES, said:
“HES are delighted to have played a part in funding one of the most exciting and significant archaeological discoveries in Scotland in recent years. This project shows that discoveries of immense importance remain to be found by local heritage groups –- and what can be achieved by bringing archaeological science and expertise together with local knowledge which has helped to unlock a centuries-held secret that will add to the fabric of Scotland’s story."
Geoff Parkhouse from ADHS said:
“Ancrum Old Bridge now has a 14th Century date. In Scotland there is not a standing bridge that is earlier than the 15th Century.
In those times, during flood or highwater, the Ancrum Bridge may have been the only place to cross the Teviot between Hawick and Berwick, making it one of the most important structures in medieval Scotland.
Dr Mills said:
“The timber structure discovered by ADHS in the River Teviot near Ancrum is a rare survival of part of an early bridge in a hugely strategic historical location. The oak timbers are in remarkably good condition and provide really important local material for tree-ring analysis in a region where few medieval buildings survived the ravages of war. It has been a privilege to work alongside ADHS on investigating this important structure.”
Dr Bob MacKintosh of Wessex Archaeology Coastal & Marine said:
The site was challenging to survey, and particular river conditions were needed to complete it safely. The regular monitoring of the site by ADHS, and the excellent photography and surveying they completed prior to our involvement made our work a lot easier.
"The results are really exciting. In addition to the surprisingly early date, it seems the foundations were built using branders, a wooden frame laid on the riverbed upon which the courses of stone were placed. This is the first-time branders have been found in an archaeological context in Scotland. They are otherwise only known from historical sources and two accounts of engineering works on extant bridges completed in the 19th and early 20th century."
For interview bids or media requests for Ancrum and District Heritage Society, please contact email@example.com
About Ancrum and District Heritage Society (ADHS)
The Society was formed to promote the study of the history, archaeology and heritage of Ancrum and surroundings. To advance the conservation and understanding of the archaeological heritage of Ancrum and surroundings. To communicate this knowledge to the wider community. ADHS is a local community group of volunteers. The Society was instrumental in the discovery of the 650 year-old bridge.
A consultancy led by Dr Coralie Mills, a dendrochronologist and landscape archaeologist, who is also investigating timber samples taken from nationally important monuments (such as St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh and Cowanes Hospital, Stirling) for tree ring dating evidence. www.dendrochronicle.co.uk
About Wessex Archaeology Coastal and Marine team
The Coastal & Marine team upholds the Codes of Conduct and required high standard of archaeological practice in delivery of commercial and research services. Their work supports different marine sectors, from the very largest international projects to more local commercial and community work. Find out more
About Lothian Estates
Lothian Estates is the local landowner. The Estate woodlands extend to 1008 hectares, centred around Jedburgh. The two and half mile stretch of mainly double bank fishing on the river can accommodate six rods.
Established in 1967 at Glasgow University, the Radiocarbon Laboratory has been based at SUERC since 1986. In addition to taking an active part in a number of research projects, the laboratory carries out age measurements under contract to Historic Environment Scotland. They also provide a radiocarbon dating service to national museums, academic staff in a large number of universities worldwide, and many UK and European commercial archaeology units.
The Community Archaeology Radiocarbon Dating (CARD) Fund was established and funded by Archaeological Research Services Ltd and the SUERC Radiocarbon dating laboratory in January 2016.
About Historic Environment Scotland (HES)
- We are the lead public body charged with caring for, protecting and promoting the historic environment. We will lead on delivering Scotland’s first strategy for the historic environment, Our Place in Time.
- Historic Scotland, Scran, Canmore, The National Collection of Aerial Photography (NCAP), The Engine Shed, Stirling Castle and Edinburgh Castle are sub-brands of HES.
- View our press pack and keep up to date by registering for media release email alerts. If you wish to unsubscribe, please contact us.
Follow Historic Environment Scotland
Twitter: @HistEnvScot | @welovehistory
Facebook: @HistoricEnvScotland | @VisitHistoricScotland
Instagram: @HistEnvScot | @historicscotland
For further information, please contact:
Historic Environment Scotland Media Office
Mobile: 07221 959 962