Voting has opened for the 2018 British Travel Awards (BTA) and Edinburgh Castle is again in the running to claim the title of the Best UK Heritage Attraction.
Edinburgh Castle is the number one paid-for visitor attraction in Scotland. Last year for the first time, over 2 million people visited; a record 15% increase on the previous year. The castle has been nominated for a BTA before and previously won four times in a row, in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Edinburgh Castle Executive Manager, Nick Finnigan, said:
“This nomination is a huge vote of confidence in Edinburgh Castle’s high-quality exhibitions, fascinating history, professional staff and incredible views of the city.
If we were to win, this award would build on a fantastic year for the castle - we have experienced another record-breaking season, with more people coming through the castle gates than ever before.
“We are so grateful to all our wonderful visitors and we thank them for their continued support. We’re up against some stiff competition in the Best UK Leisure/Heritage Attraction category and we ask our visitors to vote for Edinburgh Castle to win.”
The deadline to cast votes is 30 September 2018. The 2018 BTA Winners will be announced in London on 28 November 2018.
The BTAs are the largest and most influential poll of consumer opinion on the performance of leisure travel and tourism providers.
For more information about the BTAs, and to cast your vote, visit:
Notes for editors
- For more information about Edinburgh Castle, visit: https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/
- The British Travel Awards is the largest awards programme in the UK created to reward the best companies in travel.
- The British Travel Awards are considered the benchmark for excellence when it comes to finding out who really is the best in the travel industry.
About Historic Environment Scotland (HES)
- We are the lead public body charged with caring for, protecting and promoting the historic environment. We will lead on delivering Scotland’s first strategy for the historic environment, Our Place in Time.
- Historic Scotland is a sub brand of HES.
- View our press pack and keep up to date by registering for media release email alerts. If you wish to unsubscribe, please contact us.
Year of Young People 2018
The Year of Young People (YoYP 2018) will inspire Scotland through its young people aged 8 to 26, celebrating their achievements, valuing their contributions to communities and creating new opportunities for them to shine locally, nationally and globally. Over 200 young people throughout Scotland will become #YOYP2018 Ambassadors, ensuring their communities know about local opportunities to celebrate young people.
Follow Historic Environment Scotland
Twitter: @HistEnvScot | @welovehistory
Facebook: @HistoricEnvScotland | @VisitHistoricScotland
Instagram: @HistEnvScot | @historicscotland
For further information, please contact: