Explore mighty coastal defences built to protect merchant shipping interests during the Napoleonic Wars. These rare and well-preserved military remains never saw action.
What to see and do
- Look out from the Martello Tower towards Crockness Tower, enjoying views across Longhope Sound to Scapa Flow
- Get up close to the battery – the remarkable and rare survival is full of interesting features
- Explore the rooms inside Martello Tower and imagine what life was like for those stationed here
- See evidence of barracks life – including barrack room furniture and other military memorabilia
- Hackness and surrounding area is a haven for bird spotting? Give our bird bingo a go when visiting
- Discover nearly 5,000 years of Orkney’s history and prehistory, including Hackness Martello Tower and Battery, with our Orkney Digital Guide. Purchase as an Add-On when booking your ticket, or buy the Orkney Digital Guide from our online shop