1 Overview of the Scottish Borders Explorer Pass
Explore hundreds of years of history at some of the top attractions in the Scottish Borders.
The Scottish Borders Explorer Pass is the ideal way to enjoy the abbeys and castles of south east Scotland and save money.
Benefits of a Scottish Borders Explorer Pass:
- Visit five paid sites for £18 – a saving of £10 for an adult visitor
- Pay only once
- Valid for 30 consecutive days
- Available for purchase at participating sites
The Scottish Borders Explorer Pass is valid from April to October only. Passes will be available to buy online or at participating sites from 1 April.
2 Where your pass can take you
The Scottish Borders Explorer Pass is valid at:
- Dryburgh Abbey, a remarkably complete medieval abbey where it’s easy to appreciate the monastic life
- Jedburgh Abbey, once a frequent target for invading armies, with its garden and visitor centre containing carvings and artefacts
- Melrose Abbey, a magnificent ruin with lavishly detailed masonry, thought to be the burial place of Robert the Bruce’s heart
- Hermitage Castle, an eerie ruin with a history filled with murder, trysts, torture and treason
- Smailholm Tower, a 1400s tower on a rocky outcrop, housing an exhibition of tapestries and costume dolls
3 Prices, pass types and savings
Adult: Individuals aged 16–59
Concession: Individuals aged 60+, students in full time education (on production of valid ID), unemployed persons (proof of Universal Credit or other qualifying benefit required)
Child: Aged 5–15 yrs (children under 5 admitted free)*
Family: Two adults and up to six children aged 5–15
* Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Adult prices for Scottish Borders attractions:
- Dryburgh Abbey £6.00
- Hermitage Castle £5.00
- Jedburgh Abbey £6.00
- Melrose Abbey £6.00
- Smailholm Tower £5.00
Total cost £28.00
You can visit all of these sites with a Scottish Borders Explorer Pass for £18 – that’s a saving of £10.
4 How your pass works
Your Scottish Borders Explorer Pass becomes valid after your first site visit and is valid for 30 consecutive days from its first day of use. Multiple sites may be visited in any one day. Only one visit per site is permitted. This pass is non-refundable and must only be used by the named signatory.
The Scottish Borders Explorer Pass is valid from April to October only.
When you buy a Scottish Borders Explorer Pass online, you’ll receive an email with your pass attached as a PDF. This can be printed and used at any paid site in the Scottish Borders. You must select the date of your first visit when purchasing a pass online – your pass will become valid from this date.
You can also buy a Scottish Borders Explorer Pass in person at the first Historic Scotland property you visit.
5 Contact us about the Scottish Borders Explorer Pass
Historic Environment Scotland
Telephone: 0131 668 8999