Unlock thousands of years of history at Orkney and Shetland’s top attractions.
The Orkney Explorer Pass is the best way to see the fantastic heritage offered on Scotland’s northern islands and save money.Buy your Orkney Pass
Orkney Explorer Pass benefits:
- Visit seven paid sites for £19 – a saving of more than £20 for an adult visitor
- Pay only once
- Valid for 30 consecutive days
The Orkney Explorer Pass is only valid between April and September. Passes will be available to buy online or at participating sites from 1 April.
2 Where your pass can take you
Your Orkney Explorer Pass gives you free access to:
- Skara Brae, a 5,000-year-old village giving a unique look at life in the Stone Age
- Maeshowe, a spectacular and world-famous chambered burial cairn
- The Bishop’s Palace, Kirkwall, an 1100s hall-house, and the Earl’s Palace, home of the notorious ‘Black Patie’
- The Broch of Gurness, an Iron Age fortification and surrounding village
- The Brough of Birsay, a Pictish and Norse powerbase
- Hackness Martello Tower and Battery, one of a pair of towers built to defend against privateers
- Jarlshof Prehistoric and Norse Settlement, a community for more than 4,000 years
3 Prices, pass types and savings
Adult: Individuals aged 16–59
Concession: Individuals aged 60+, students in full time education (on production of valid ID), unemployed persons (proof of Universal Credit or other qualifying benefit required)
Child: Aged 5–15 yrs (children under 5 admitted free)*
Family: Two adults and up to six children aged 5–15
* Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Adult prices for visiting Orkney and Shetland's historic attractions:
- Skara Brae: £7.50
- Maeshowe: £6.00
- Broch of Gurness: £6.00
- Bishop's and Earl's Palaces: £5.00
- Hackness Martello Tower and Battery: £5.00
- Brough of Birsay: £5.00
- Jarlshof: £6.00
Total cost: £40.50
You could visit all of these for £19 with an Orkney Explorer Pass – a saving of £21.50.Buy your Orkney Pass
4 How your pass works
Your Orkney Explorer Pass becomes valid after your first site visit and is valid for 30 consecutive days from its first day of use. Multiple sites may be visited in any one day. Only one visit per site is permitted. This pass is non-refundable and must only be used by the named signatory.
The Orkney Explorer Pass is valid from April to September only.
When you buy an Orkney Explorer Pass online, you’ll receive an email with your pass attached as a PDF. This can be printed and used at any paid site in Orkney and Shetland. You must select the date of your first visit when purchasing a pass online – your pass will become valid from this date.
You can also buy an Orkney Explorer Pass in person at the first Historic Scotland property you visit.Buy your Orkney Pass
Historic Environment Scotland
Telephone: 0131 668 8999